WEEKLY TRANSITION, SWIM, BIKE, RUN, READ…..
- WORD FROM THE COACHES
- TT BIKES FOR SALE
- PINK TRI VOLUNTEERS
- NEW TA RUNNING GEAR COMING SOON
- TRAINING SESSION UPDATES
1. WORD FROM THE COACHES Another stunning day Sunday at race 2 of the Gatorade Triathlon Series at St Kilda. With over 70 athletes racing across Kids, Fun Tri, Sprint and OD there was a great spread with all challenging themselves. For many it was their first triathlon – with many taking on the OD head on. The conditions could not have been much better with a flat marina to swim in – temperature was good though the vis was less so…! It was then out onto the fast and flat of beach road where the only wind was generated by yourself. Some cracking splits here with a few averaging over 40kph. this was a testament to the hard graft and training of Hell Week, Falls Creek and being consistent in recent months. By the time athletes hit the run it was warming up but the cheering and cow bells got everyone through. Race results are up and can be viewed in detail on the Gatorade website here. Club points were very evenly dished out with a perfect split across OD, Sprint and Fun Tri. Congratulations to all those who raced – there was an amazing buzz in the tent after and when the presentations were on it got loud! Special mentions to Christie, Nicole, Michelle, Katherine, Hilario, Steve H, Stephen B, Kelly who all got into the top 3 in their age groups. An Extra special mention to Tyler Parfuss who we saw cross the line by the tent to rapturous applause. An amazing kid. Thanks again to all those who stayed around after to enjoy the bbq and help pack up the tent – we couldn’t do it without you. So next up Active Tri this weekend for some and then Challenge Melbourne and Challenge Sprint – see you there. As we get back into our routines and sessions are now back and running please please ensure you check the timetable and our Victorian Facebook page as some have changed slightly. Click the session on the calendar to give you more details including time and location. Those sessions of note are the Monday evening swims at MSAC which are now currently split into advanced and low advanced at 6-7pm and then intermediate at 7-8. This is for all of January with the exception of an Open Water session on Monday 25th at 6:15pm Elwood – no pool swim that night. Wednesday evening swims are at the earlier time of 6:15pm or 6:30pm (this week). St Michael’s technique swims are also back and are at the normal times of 7pm Monday and Wednesday evenings. We do try to keep the swim times consistent but MSAC are not always able to accommodate us when we would like. This weekends Sunday sessions are at changed locations due to the Triathlon at Elwood. Sundays short course ride will go from North Road and the long course run and swim will be on the Challenge Melbourne course starting at Green Point. Check the timetable for details. New running gear dropping soon…….. – check it out here. At recent swim sessions a number of athletes have mixed up gear and now have wrong sizes of fins or mismatched pairs. Please write your name on all your gear so it can be identified easily – this also helps coaches know who has left stuff behind! Please post on the Vic FB page if you currently have someone else’s gear or are missing something and we can hopefully reunite you with it.
Two much loved coaches TT bikes are for sale if you are in the market now. Ideal for those new to the sport and not wanting to break the bank on an upgrade or a new bike. Remember the n+1 rule! Giant Trinity, Size M, full Ultegra 10 Speed, Upgraded with a 3t carbon handlebar $1800 with Dura-ace Wheels and Shimano R500 wheels or $1200 with just the R500s. Pedals not included. Available now.
Giant Trinity 2014 Composite, Size small, full 11 Speed Ultegra, Giant P-SLR race wheels and standard training wheels, pedals not included. $1800 for the lot.
If you are interested in either of these bikes please contact us at [email protected] or chat with Hilario/Scott at a session. Test rides are free :-).
3.Tri Pink If you are wanting to help out for the Pink Tri on Saturday or Sunday 17th January please let us know. A number of coaches and athletes have already made themselves available but it would be great to have more crew out. If you are interested please drop us a note at [email protected] We have a few athletes racing too so good luck to all out there. For more information on the event or to even race then jump on their website and read on. http://triathlonpink.com.au/event/melbourne/
4.RECOVERY Want to know the secret to improving your triathlon training and racing performance? Train harder, more often. Maybe. Improve your swimming technique? Could be. Master your bike handling skills? Very likely. Enhance your running technique and running speed? Possibly. Take precious seconds off your T1 and T2 transition times? Potentially. Get better quality sleep, rest more and spend more time and effort recovering from training and racing? Absolutely. Check out this article on Recovery from Triathlon Australia. Following a race we will check in with athletes to see how they are feeling and ensure that sessions are such that athletes can get a quick and adequate recovery. Active recovery sessions are crucial in the days after a race to ensure you are ready for more quality sessions and upcoming races. If you have any questions regards your specific recovery following a race or a very hard training session please approach a coach and we can help you out. Remember everyone is different and people will recover at different speeds and in different ways.
Please ensure you check the calendar regularly to ensure you know where and when sessions are as they do sometimes change (this is especially true for swim sessions at MSAC as these can change and are often unfortunately beyond our control). This weeks highlighted sessions: (please ensure you check your program or consult a coach so you attend the appropriate session and that you know your distances – remember you are accountable too!).
- Thursday 14th Jan – Combo & Run – Elwood @6pm (reminder to always bring your wettie to these sessions to get in and practice OW).
- Saturday 16th Jan – Long course ride – Elwood rolling @630am.
- Saturday 16th Jan – Short Course Combo Elwood @7:30am. Bring all your gear but be prepared to run first leaving the rest of your gear in your car (or a fellow athlete’s car).
- Sunday 17th Jan – Short Course Ride – North Point Cafe on North Road to roll south @630am. Bring runners to run off the bike.
- Sunday 17th Jan – Long Course Run and Swim – Green Point, Brighton @7am. Swim and Run on the Challenge Course. Meet in the car park.
- Note the is a Triathlon at Elwood on Sunday so beach road north towards St Kilda will be closed.
When riding on a Tri-Alliance coached road ride it is a requirement to wear team colours. This helps keep and identify the group together and provides more safety in the fact that other riders from outside the group are less likely to join in the group – we do not know them or their riding abilities.
Safe & Happy Training