WEEKLY TRANSITION, SWIM, BIKE, RUN, READ…..
- WORD FROM THE COACHES
- NOOSA TRAINING SCHEDULE
- CYCLING GEAR
- WETSUITS FROM ROCKET SCIENCE
- CHALLENGE MELBOURNE OFFER
- ELWOOD LIFE SAVING CLUB MEMBERSHIP
- TT BARS FOR SALE WITH RETUL BIKE FIT
- THE IMPORTANCE OF BODY MAINTENANCE
- TRAINING SESSION UPDATES
So after signing up almost a year ago the race is on Sunday! We have 40 athletes, their family, friends and supporters heading up this week with some already having left to make the most of a holiday with a race in the middle…! We shall again have our tents front and centre and be making as much noise as we can in cheering on all athletes racing over the festival. Some athletes are taking on the Noosa 1000 open water swim on Friday afternoon as race prep for Sunday; we have Jonney Yeates running in the Asics Bolt (5k) on Saturday and then a mixture of Smiling for Smiddy, individuals and teams competing on Sunday in the main event. Wishing everyone a great race and time in Noosa. For all the details and the Noosa schedule check out the below here.
With many heading North we will still be putting on sessions back in Melbourne so fear not if you did not get a Noosa entry. Please note that the Thursday combo session will be a run and swim only so no bike required as we are unable to get the wind trainers to the session with coaches away. The weekend sessions will be on as normal so check the details here. The long course ride on Saturday morning will be split into smaller groups of the same distance and ability to ensure a safe and enjoyable ride for all on Beach Road. We love seeing large numbers of you athletes out riding on the weekend but we need to ensure that your safety comes first and that we take due care and attention to all other road users.
Note that there will be no sessions next Tuesday 3rd November as it is a public holiday for the Melbourne Cup. Enjoy the day off and may your horse win!
For those asking about wetsuits and what we recommend and can offer please check out this link about our continued partnership with Rocket Science and your Tri-Alliance discount and purchasing options.
Our new Try the Tri program began on Saturday with 40+ newbies coming along to the info session to begin learning about all things Triathlon. Please say hi and make them feel welcome as they begin the preparation to their first race in either the Active Feet or Gatorade Sprint Distance races at Elwood on the 29th. You will see them at some of the swim sessions and both Thursday and Saturday combos.
With most athletes now building their training even more it is very important to ensure that the body is well maintained. This applies to regular maintenance as well as any new injuries that may arise. We remind athletes that at Lakeside Sports Medicine Centre you will receive 10% off treatments. Read more below about the services offered by the team based out of MSAC.
With our technique swim sessions at St Michaels becoming increasingly busy we require athletes who are comfortable at swimming 100m at an average of less than 2mins to move up to the appropriate sessions at MSAC and work on their volume. As we take on more members who require work on their technique they will be encouraged to attend St Michaels initially before progressing. We challenge athletes to step out of their comfort zone and step to the next level. Any questions regards improving your swim please contact one of your coaches.
For the full timetable of sessions please ensure you regularly check the timetable here and ask coaches if you have any questions with regards which sessions you should be attending.
Noosa is this week! Below is be the official training schedule whilst there. We appreciate that people will be coming and going at various times but we highly recommend if you have not raced there before (even if you have it’s good to re-familiarise yourself) you at least do a ride of the bike and run courses and get into the bay for a swim (no canal this year!). This way you are less likely to have race day surprises and be confident on the course.
How true the rumours are of a wetsuit swim we won’t know officially until race day morning so just in case pack your wettie – an extra bit of padding for the bike.
For communication on all things Noosa make sure you are a member of the Facebook group here.
Wave starts are also now out here so you can start planning your race morning. With the Pros going at 6:15pm and the last of the teams starting at 9:42 it’s going to be a long morning and a busy course.
NOOSA 2015 TRAINING SCHEDULE
- Wednesday 28th – 16:30 – OW Swim – meet beach side of the Life Saving Club.
- Thursday 29th – 06:00 – Bike course ride – 30/40k – meet at the roundabout/transition exit at the start of the bike course.
- Thursday 29th – 16:00 – Run- meet at the roundabout/transition exit at the start of the bike course.
- Friday 30th – 05:45 – Bike course ride – 30/40k – meet at the roundabout/transition exit at the start of the bike course. Optional for those who rode yesterday.
- Friday 30th – 08:30 – OW Swim – meet beach side of the Life Saving Club. Swim to the pontoon!
- Friday 30th – 16:15 – Watch the Noosa 1000 Swim (we have athletes racing)
- Saturday 31st – 07:00 – Ride the run course, short run off the bike, and then help put the Tri-Alliance tent up – meet at the club tents area, Laguna Park (just over the bridge from the start of the bike course).
- Satruday 31st – PM
- Triathlon Bike Check-in/Race pack pick-up if not done already
- Men and Women’s criterium races
- Asics Noosa Bolt – 16:00 – Cheer on our very own Jonney Yeates racing.
- Sunday 1st – RACE DAY
- Post your race come back to the tent where you can have a drink and support those out on the course. NOTE: We will be supplying some drinks but these are for everyone so only 1 or 2 each please otherwise those racing later will find the bar dry. PLEASE BYO so there is enough to go around.
- 3pm onwards we have an area in the Reef Hotel for drinks and dinner (at own cost) before heading onto the official after party at the Life Saving Club and then for those strong enough a bounce or wobble to the Rolling Rock….
- Monday 2nd – Recovery and Mad Monday at Life Saving Club…..
- Tuesday 3rd – Recovery Ride – 8am meet at the roundabout/transition exit at the start of the bike course. We will ride a different way as we’ll have had enough of the course now! Followed by an optional swim.
- Wednesday 4th – Fly home 🙁
Be ready for the new season in some stylish new kit.
We do still have some of the previous cycling gear in various sizes still available which is on special to make way for our new stock. Check out the TriShop here to see what we have. Any questions regards gear drop us a line on email or call the office.
For the 2015/16 season we are continuing our recommendation and use of Rocket Science wetsuits through our partner Xosize. As part of this years agreement we are going to be holding small stock levels and enabling athletes to demo suits at our open water sessions with a view to purchasing. Suits can be purchased either via return of the completed following form (RocketWetsuit_OrderForm_2015_16) or online via the TriShop here. Prices are full RRP but members qualify for a 20% discount using the “ROCKETSCOTT” coupon code when checking out. Active membership will be checked before suits are despatched.
Should you want to demo a suit please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange this at least 3 days before the proposed session so we can ensure we have the size available.
SuperSprint is extending the club discount to not only cover the Gatorade Series, but also Challenge Melbourne for a limited time. There is also a limited special for the Challenge Shepparton / Challenge Melbourne Double.
Exclusive Club Member Offer:
SuperSprint are offering the members of your Club 10% off Challenge Melbourne and Challenge Sprint until 30th November 2016. To take advantage of this offer and to ensure your members don’t miss out, set up your triathlon club page today and have your members to use the promotion code CLUB16 when entering the event.
Challenge Melbourne and Challenge Shepparton Special:
Sign up to both Challenge Melbourne and Challenge Shepparton for $500 a saving of $180. The deal can be purchased when registering for Challenge Shepparton as a registration add-on and is limited to the first 20.
Challenge Melbourne has become one of Australia’s most popular and only major inner city half distance triathlons that has seen some of the world’s best compete!
Now in the third year SuperSprint are introducing the Challenge Sprint Triathlon to give Melbourne and interstate triathletes the opportunity to take part in what will be the most prestigious sprint triathlon in Melbourne, with big crowds and some of the worlds best racing.
The limited field will take on the Challenge Melbourne course, giving your Sprint distance triathletes a taste of what long distance triathlons are all about with extra support, more closed roads and access to all the nutrition of the half athletes. The course will comprise of:
- Swim x 700m: A rectangular swim course in Port Phillip Bay incorporating part of the Challenge Melbourne swim course
- Cycle x 30km: One lap of the Challenge Melbourne course from Brighton to Mordialloc and back
- Run x 7km: One lap of the Challenge Melbourne course along the beach paths and bike path to Sandringham and back
- All entries include finishers towel, finishers medal, Challenge Melbourne Stein and access to the great food and recovery area.
Click the image below for all the details and entries.
Tri-Alliance has long had an affiliation with the team at Elwood and this year we will continue to train alongside their facility. The team there supports the Triathlon community by assisting with water based race day support for many of the events we all participate in. They are also very active in the community providing an extremely valuable service.
To support them many of our athletes take up the associate membership with them giving access to their changing facilities and warm showers for those cooler Elwood swims. In addition to this you are then able to apply to Bayside Council for a foreshore parking permit which gives free parking (rather than the $10+ a time) at the Club as well as all foreshore parking from Elwood all the way to Port Melbourne which can be used all year – not just for training sessions.
for more information and forms for joining Elwood Life Saving Club please go to their web page and download the documents. Officials of the club are often around whilst our sessions are on to stamp completed forms.
Got a roadie but want that extra advantage of being more aero-dynamic? We have a number of TT bars for sale ($50) which can be fitted and adjusted to you during one of our Retul bike fits. Drop email@example.com a line or book online to get your Retul sorted and gain maximum efficiency on the bike.
All the staff at Lakeside Sports Medicine Centre are passionate about providing the highest level of clinical expertise. Their health practitioners are all highly qualified having worked with many sporting clubs and organisations so you know you’re in good hands. With a diverse range of special interests they are well equipped to look after your health needs, no matter how simple or involved. Services available are below and remember as a Tri-Alliance member you qualify for a 10% discount. If you are struggling to get a slot please let us know and we will see what we can do. We want to ensure our athletes get the most appropriate and prompt care with any injuries so they are back in the game as soon as possible.
For questions on Lakeside click the following link and if you are unsure of who to see please contact your coach who can recommend the relevant specialist.
Please ensure you check the calendar regularly to ensure you know where and when sessions are. This weekends highlights (please ensure you check your program or consult a coach so you attend the appropriate session and that you know your distances – remember you are accountable too!):
- Thursday 29th – Elwood Combo @6pm
- Saturday 31st – Elwood – Long course ride with coach Jed @6:30am.
- Saturday 31st – Elwood – Short course combo with coaches Paddy and Hilario @7:30am – bring all your gear but be prepared to run first so leave everything else in your car.
- Sunday 1st – NOOSA BABY!
- Sunday 1st – Elwood – Long Course run & swim @7am with coach Greg
- Sunday 1st – Elwood – Short course ride @6:30am with coach Annemarie. Bring your runners with you for a short sharp 4k of the bike.
When riding on a Tri-Alliance coached road ride it is a requirement to wear team colours. This helps keep and identify the group together and provides more safety in the fact that other riders from outside the group are less likely to join in the group – we do not know them or their riding abilities.
Safe & Happy Training