Leading into the last race of the Season and our athletes were pumped for a big days racing. Coming off the back of Ironman Melbourne last weekend, everyone was inspired and ready to draw strength and give their last race for the season everything. We had a number of athletes in search of another podium, aiming for a series podium, heading into their first triathlon, or simply ready to finish off the season on a high!
And what a day to finish on. Melbourne brought out it’s Autumn’s finest, it was a perfect day to be out in the sun and racing. And race they did!
We had huge numbers racing, including 61 athletes in the Gatorade Sprint Distance, and 5 in the Active Feet. And when there are that many athletes on course – it can only mean just as many on the sidelines cheering. A big thanks to our Ironman athletes for coming along and repaying the support!
We also had a number of athletes bring along thier kids to enjoy the Jelly Belly Tri Kids event, so well done to the young ones including Andy Livingstone son in his first ever triathlon. Was great to cheer you through the finishing chute!
Well done to everyone who raced and a big thanks to those who came down and cheered.
TRY-THE-TRI’S – BEGINNER TRIATHLETES!
Coach Emma had 6 New Beginner Triathletes graduate from their 6 week Tri Challenge by racing in either the Active Feet or Gatorade Distances and all did super well in their efforts. The skills and fitness learnt during our 6 Week Beginner Triathlon Program are invaluable to those new to the sport of triathlon and everyone showed their best on Sunday. Well done to the following first time triathletes!!! Talia Pereira, Stephanie Dearaugo, Cathy Carrangis, Max Bergh, Cassandra Hanks, Natalie Zantuck
ACTIVE FEET MINI TRI: 300m/10km/3km
The longest distance for the season for those in Active Feet, including a number of our Try-the-Tri’s. It’s always fantastic to watch athletes in this distance as they over come their fears, challenge themselves and enjoy their race. Well done to you all!
- Elle Stubbs – won her age group convincingly, and what an improvement from the same race last year!
- Jenny Patterson – came in second in her age group with a great all round race.
- Stella Ramadan – for someone who feared the open water, she is smashing her goals!
- Cathy Carrangis – one of those ladies who it is just a pleasure to coach and cheer on. Well done Cathy, you are smashing it.
GATORADE SPRINT DISTANCE: 750m/20km/5km
The ‘true’ sprint distance to finish off the season. The longer swim always slightly favours the ‘swimmers’, but we all know that triathlon is all about being solid in each discipline, and with a solid off season everyone was confident in their training and ready to finish on top.
We had 61 athletes race over this distance including 5 podium finishes and numerous first timers – either to the sport or to the distance, and a handful of athletes who were so close to standing on the podium. Well done everyone!
- Will Pullin – 1st M30-34. Our fastest TA athlete over the distance to WIN his age group. This tops off a fantastic year for Will who has been on the podium for most of his races, was great to see him finish on number 1 for his last race.
- Sarah Grove – 1st FOpen. Our fastest female, and fastest age grouper for the day. A convincing finish to the Gatorade Series for Coach Sarah.
- Kathryn Siddle – 2nd F20-24. Kathryn has had a consistent season on the podium, with a solid finish.
- Daniel Kelly – 3rd M30-34. What a finish for Daniel. He had been chasing the podium all season and he cracked it. Pity he didn’t get to enjoy the glory on race day with incorrect results. Massive season Dan. And well deserved.
- Geoffrey Taylor – 3rd M55-59. The professor is never far away from a podium and he delivers another result to round out his Gatorade Season.
- Nola MacGregor – 3rd Athenas. From someone who just 3 years ago crossed the line as the last competitor in the field (by her own admissions!) this was a sweet victory for Nola, and we are super proud of her!
- Mick Ryan, Amy Gianotti, Belinda Griffiths, Caroline Houston, Julia Hebb. All these athletes only just missed podium honours to finish 4th in their respective age groups. With another winter season under their belts, we have no doubt they will all be on the podium next year!
- Jeremy Critchett MOpen and Tai Lennon F30-34 both finishing 5th in their age groups. Both with their first season with us and have solid seasons. Jeremy with his come back to triathlon after years out of the sport, and Tai as a newcomber to the sport. Well done guys, look forward to seeing your improvements again over winter!
- Further top 10 place getters included Barry Gilbertson, Mark Skilton, John Noel, Kristine Hopkins, Suzie Latta, Jill Sultan and Jessie Waugh.
- Glenn Smith, James Tyler, D Hemachandra, James McNab, David Felton and Shane Brown all had great races to round out their season.
- In the girls, solid performances from Kristine Hopkins, Suzie Latta, Catherine Jansen, Sam Hood, Jodie Prestt and Annette Gaber. And always with a smile on their faces!!
- Loved seeing Glenn Barber out there, backing up after IM Melbourne and before he jets himself back to India!
There were many other fantastic results and PB’s so well done to everyone again on a fantastic days racing!
CLICK HERE to view our Tri Alliance Athlete Results
CLICK HERE to view full results from the Active Feet and Gatorade Distance Races.
SERIES PODIUM PLACINGS
We had a number of athletes pushing for Series places before this race and even more who finished within the top 10 of their age groups overall. So well done to you all on a great season of racing – we look forward to seeing you grow again over the coming winter season (after a nice break that is!) We are still waiting for official podium places on the website, but the following is what was awarded on the day:
- Sarah Grove – 1st FOpen
- Kathryn Siddle – 2nd F20-24 (up from 3rd last year!)
- Will Pullin – 2nd M30-34 (after finishing 3rd M25-29 last year)
- Belind Griffiths – 2nd F35-39
- Geoff Taylor – 3rd M55-59
- Brianna Laugher – 2nd Athenas (up from 3rd last year)
- Julia Hebb – 3rd Athenas
CLICK HERE to view our facebook photo album from the race.
The celebratory drinks kicked off at the TA Taj, and a well earned beer or two went down very nicely. Thanks to those stayed patiently for the presentations – we were definitely the loudest there! And to those who helped with a quick pack down post event so the celebrations could be continued at Republica. A big thanks always goes to the boys at Lakeside Sports Medicine Centre for their work on the massage tables pre and post race. And to each of our Coaches for their great work throughout the season in getting our athletes to where they are and achieve the results they are searching for. Lastly – to each of our athletes – whether you are a ‘newbie’ a short course athlete, advanced, or long course athlete, each of you provide the atmosphere, fun, and motivation for each other to enjoy this fantastic sport. It is each of you that makes this so enjoyable and rewarding, so thank you!
Make sure you celebrate with us at our End of Season Presentation Night on Saturday 5 May at The Baths Middle Brighton. Click here for more details and to purchase tickets. Our early bird special finishes on Friday 18 May. So jump online and book your ticket today!
Team Tri Alliance….
If you would like to find out how Tri Alliance can assist you with your triathlon training, contact us [email protected].