Tri Alliance athletes are gearing up for one of the biggest and most exciting races on the Australasia Ironman Calendar – the inaugural Ironman Melbourne!
Being held on Sunday 25March 2012, being part of the inception of Ironman Melbourne is a must and will be a fantastic day to showcase to Melbourne what Triathlon and Ironman is all about!
Tri Alliance has 18 athletes racing including:
- Mark Hyoms | Brett Parker | Morris Caleca | Gordon Spargo
- Brett Miller | Jay Mueller | Brett Archbold | Dean Hawkins
- Paul O’Dowd | Marina Jurjevic | Ollie Allan | Dan Brueckner
- Steve Atkins | Richard Oliver | Kevin Fountain | Chris Smith
- Jono Tucker | Anna Greaves
- Team including Brett Miller (swim/bike) and Juliet Cooper (run)
The guys (and girl) at the moment are swimming anywhere up to 15km a week, 350-400km of riding and 70-100km a week of running. Not a bad effort for athletes who have full time jobs to hold down and families/partners/friends to keep on the good side. Ironman is a tough ask and we say it all the time – but the journey getting to the start line of an Ironman is by far the hardest part of racing an Ironman. Race day is just the icing on the cake (in a wacked out kind of way!) 🙂
How YOU can be part of the Ironman Journey!
Tri Alliane is offering YOU the chance of a lifetime to become part of the Ironman Melbourne Journey. We have secured TWO water (aid) stations on the run leg of the Ironman event which we are searching for athletes, friends and/or families to help man the aid station and support our athletes (and the 1500+ other competitors) in making their way to the finishing line of Ironman Melbourne.
Locations of our aid (water) stations are currently being finalised, but we do know they are in the second half of the marathon – so close to home!
What we are looking for:
- 15-20 more volunteers to help organise and run an aid station on the run leg of Ironman Melbourne.
- Set up of the aid station on race day
- Distribution of hydration and food to athletes as required
- Be responsible for the reporting of any incidents that may occur during the event
- Shifts can range from 6+ hours – so even if you are only able to help out for a bit it will be better than not at all! 🙂
You will be provided with:
- Official Ironman Event Crew T-Shirt
- Official Ironman Event Hat
- All equipment for set up
- All food and hydration for the aid station for athletesthe
- Lunch pack (for you!)
- All Tri Alliance volunteers will also go in the draw to WIN a Retul Bike Fit valued at $295! (drawn post IM Melb)
Tri Alliance will also be provided with 2 x FOC entries into either Ironman Western Australia (Busselton) or Ironman Australia (Port Macquarie) which we can use at our discretion. And we’re sure that someone would LOVE to get their hands on an entry into one of these fantastic Ironman Events in Australia. So keep an ear out for how/when these entries will be used.
It will be a long day, however a great way to support our athletes and all the others undertaking this mammoth endurance event. The most common COMPLIMENT that Ironman receives from athletes is the support and enthusiasm from the volunteers, without which YOU these huge events could not run.
SIGN ME UP TO ASSIST!!
Don’t need any more convincing? 🙂 Then your first step is to complete the volunteers form at http://ironmanmelbourne.com/volunteers/. This will enable us to finalise our volunteer lists and give IM Melbourne enough time to order your volunteer t-shirts, hats and lunch packs and ensure no one misses out on event day!
When completing this form please ensure that you select affiliation with a Tri Club from the menu and then Tri Alliance from the drop down menu. And when selecting t-shirt sizes the small is equivalent to a Ladies size 10. They are Unisex in style. If anyone has basic first aid knowledge can you also please let us know. We will then look after the rest!!
**REGISTRATION CLOSES NEXT WEDNESDAY 29 FEBRUARY**
If you have any questions please let us know – otherwise we hope to fill our aid stations with plenty of enthusiasm and Ironman cheer – it’s going to be an absolutely fantastic day!