WORD FROM THE COACHES
Where to start this week??! Lots of information in this weeks newsletter so make sure you read it from top to bottom so you don’t miss out on anything including:
- Whats happening this week
- Tri Alliance Running Group
- Important Information for Shepparton Half Ironman Athletes
- Tri Alliance Christmas Party
- 4 & 6 Week Strength & Conditioning Programs
- Brand new swim venue and swim sessions!
- Falls Creek Altitude triathlon training camp
- Last chance to enter Challenge Melbourne
- Plus more – so start reading. 🙂
NOOSA MULTI-SPORTS FESTIVAL
The Noosa Multi-Sports Festival – a week long event for athletes to enjoy the sunshine, a little down time and the all important race on Sunday – the Noosa Olympic Distance! This race has a different meaning for each athlete. For some, it’s simply an enjoyable race in a warm climate, others this is their first Olympic Distance event, so nerves will start to kick in, there are those returning from previous years looking to better their last years times, and for a handful of our athletes the eye of a podium prize is for the taking. Either way, every year Tri Alliance has a bigger and bigger contingent of athletes looking forward to race against the clock and enjoy the sun and all important after party(s)! And why wouldn’t you want to!
In 2011 Tri Alliance had 55 athletes race, with 2 podium finishes. Fast forward to 2013 and Tri Alliance is set to have over 150 athletes from Victoria and Queensland take on this massive event – and what an event it will be! For athletes racing, ensure you have joined our Tri Alliance takes on Noosa facebook Group to keep up dated on everything in Noosa.
FOR THOSE IN NOOSA – PLENTY HAPPENING:
Tri Alliance Noosa Team Breakfast:
Date: Saturday 2 November
Location: Noosa Surf Livesaving Club
Cost: $27.50pp or $12.50 for children under 10 yrs.
Includes: Full buffet breakfast, tea, coffee and juice.
Friends and family welcome!
Noosa After Party & Awards:
Date: Sunday 3 November
Location: Laguna Jacks on Hastings St.
Cost: $32.50 per person (you cannot enter without a ticket)
Includes: Entry and Canapes during the night. Drinks at bar prices.
Private Tri Alliance party – Friends & family more than welcome!
If you’re planning to come to either or both events, please book your tickets here!
Limited Edition Noosa Tees – Including FREE cap!
On sale now! Be loud. Be proud!
We are excited to announce Fusion Health will be providing all athletes with FREE CAPS with a Noosa Tee Purchase. Grab your tee and free cap for only $20 – and all proceeds raised are going to our Smiling for Smiddy fundraiser. CLICK HERE to purchase yours online today! Limited tees available – so get in quick! (tees picked up in Noosa)
WIN a pair of Mizuno’!
Tri Alliance has 4 x pairs of Mizuno Runners to give away at Noosa 2013 ! Simply donate $5 to Smiling for Smiddy Campaign and in the comments section nominate your race time to be in the running to win. Closest 2 male and 2 female times win – it’s that easy! Click to enter!
*Please note only 1 ENTRY PER ATHLETE.
MELBOURNE TRAINING UPDATE: NOOSA / MELBOURNE CUP WEEKEND
Due to the majority of Coaches and a large number of athletes being in Noosa this weekend, along with the Melbourne Cup on Tuesday, please note the following in regards to sessions over the coming week:
- Thurs 31 Oct – Elwood Session will be Swim and run only (no bikes)
- Fri 1 Nov – NO Swim sessions (MSAC or Northcote)
- Sat 2 Nov – NO Coached sessions, follow own program
- Sund 3 Nov – Open Water Swim (7am start) followed by long run (arrive 7.45am if just running) from ELSC (Coach Greg) *please note you must be confident in the open water to join this swim
- Mon 4 Nov – NO Coached Sessions (swim or run)
- Tues 5 Nov (Cup Day) – No Coached Sessions
- Wed 6 Nov – Sessions resume as normal
RECOVERING FROM RACING
As with every major event on the racing calendar, athletes need to ensure they recover from the racing ‘stress’ you put your body through. And the Melbourne Marathon and Yarrawonga Multi-sports Festival are no different, – even if they were a ‘B’ or ‘C’ Grade race on your racing calendar. So please ensure you listen to your body (and Coaches), use your recovery week this week to really ensure the body has fully recovered and adapted and if you still feel like you are not 100% please ensure you speak to a Coach.
A few things to remember:
- If your times/paces at sessions are ‘off the pace’ then this is a good indication that you have not recovered fully. If this is the case, back off and use the session as another recovery session.
- You DO NOT have to follow the program as it stands. The program is there as a guide and can be varied, so seek Coaches advice if needed
- Every athlete is different on how they recover from a race/event so don’t just follow what someone else is doing. Ask Coaches if you are unsure
- Eat good clean nutrition (food) to help with the recovery process. This should have started immediately after the event.
And don’t be worried that you will lose fitness/miss training, you won’t. You will actually GAIN MORE from the recovery and allowing the body to adapt. If you are still unsure or concerned about your recovery process or any niggles or injuries that arise please seek advice from Coaches.
TRI ALLIANCE RUNNING GROUP
Tri Alliance Run group is up and running and we would like to open these sessions to all of our athletes. Please feel free and encourage a friend or family member to come along and get fit for summer. They will receive 2 weeks FREE training. Follow our Run Group Facebook page
SHEPPARTON HALF IRONMAN – IMPORTANT INFORMATION
- Athletes training on our Shepparton Half Ironman Program will notice that this week will only have a slight recovery week as you will then continue a final build next week before Taper week beginning 11 November. Ensure you take the few days easier at the start of this week before you continue to build through this weekend and next. Those heading to Noosa can work their receovery days around travel/the race so be flexible with this and chat to Coaches in Noosa if you need.
- Sunday 10 November, we will be holding a Shepparton Pre Race Review and Brief post training on Sunday 10 November. All Long Course athletes racing Shepparton are encouraged to attend. Head Coach Ollie will go through race and nutrition plans, answer any last minute queries you may have and chat about tapers into the race. 10.00am Elwood Beach. Full details out next week
TRI ALLIANCE CHRISTMAS PARTY – SAVE THE DATE!
Sunday 15 December, New Venue! Fun –
Food – Festivities – Friends – Family
Full details coming soon!
Click here to save the date and receive details!
6 WEEK TRI CHALLENGE!
Do you know someone or have a friend that should complete the Tri Alliance Tri Challenge? Our 6 week Tri Challenge leads into and includes entry into Race 2 of the Gatorade Series (St Kilda) Click here for more and to share!
4 WEEK EXPRESS STRENGTH & CONDITIONING PROGRAM
Tri Alliance is looking at commencing a 4 week express Strength & Conditioning Program with Head Strength & Conditioning Coach Kemble Edelston. This program would be specific for those who have recently commenced their build into Ironman Melbourne and will commence Friday 22 November. Please email email@example.com if you are interested. Click here to read more
6 WEEK ADVANCED STRENGTH & CONDITIONING PROGRAM
Designed for more advanced athletes wanting to take their bodies to the next level. Ensure you stay injury free during the peak racing season, and develop explosive strength, speed and power to give you that racing edge. Ideal for top intermediate & advanced athletes, will commence early January for peak racing in the New Year.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
BRAND NEW SWIM SESSIONS FOR THE CBD/BAYSIDE!
Tri Alliance is excited to announce a new swim location for the CBD/Bayside area!
Commencing: Monday 11 November
Sessions: Mondays and Wednesdays 6.30pm
Location: StMichaels Grammar, 25 Chapel Street StKilda
Who: Beginner swimmers and those new. Time cycle will 2min per 100m or above. So anyone who fits in this category will now swim at StMichaels and not MSAC.
Free parking, easy entry access.
Any questions, please direct to email@example.com
SHORT COURSE ROAD RIDE AND GROUP RIDING SKILLS
6.45am Sunday 10 November – 1 week post Noosa
Elwood Lifesaving Club
We require ALL Short Course athletes to attend this ride.
Full details will be out next week, so keep an eye out for details.
FALL CREEK TRAINING CAMP – LONG COURSE
We have had a great response to athletes wanting to join us in Falls Creek for a training camp early next year. Watch this space for more details. There will be limited places on offer to our Long Course Athletes for this camp, so stay tuned.
TRI ALLIANCE AMBASSADORS PROGRAM
The wait continues on the announcement of our Tri Alliance Ambassadors for the 2013/2014 Season. With the Melbourne Weather letting us down, we have postponed the announcement until we return from Noosa. So lock Thursday 7 November in the diary. Come along to our Elwood Session and be the first to learn who our new Ambassadors are. This year we received some fantastic nominations and we can’t wait to announce them!
ELWOOD LIFESAVING CLUB
We had a great turn out to our BBQ and ELSC Open day a couple of weeks ago, in which we had a number of athletes already sign up to support the Club that supports us.
We are again encouraging all athletes who train from Elwood Lifesaving Club to sign up as a member (only $85 annual fee). And with some fantatsic benefits including full use of the Club at any time it is open – including our training session times. And with hot showers, clean change rooms and a dry place to leave your bags, why wouldn’t you! CLICK HERE to read more and to sign up today.
ATHLETES RACING CHALLENGE MELBOURNE / GEELONG HALF IRONMAN
Any athlete that is racing Challenge Melbourne or Geelong Half Ironman in February next year that is NOT using it as a lead in to an Ironman in March/April/May, then we require you to complete the following survey to ensure you are on the correct Training Program leading into your event/s. So please ensure you take the time to complete this survey as the training program for these Half distance races has now commenced! This also ensures we know who is racing so we can have athletes train together. So don’t skip over completing this survey.
CHALLENGE MELBOURNE ENTRIES – LAST CHANCE!
This is your last chance to snap up a spot for next years Innaurgural Challenge melbourne Event! Simply through being on our long course program you can secure yourself an entry into the event BUT ENTRIES CLOSE SUNDAY 10 NOVEMBER!
Click here for more information or call the office on 9645 2223 to chat to a Coach. Limited entries remain, so if you missed out, make sure you don’t delay!
TRAINING THIS WEEKEND
No Coached sessions. Follow own programs, contact other athletes via TA VIC facebook
Open Water Swim (7am start) followed by long run (approx 7.45am)
Meet at Elwood Lifesaving Club
Please ensure you are in your wetsuit and ready to swim at 7am.
TRI ALLIANCE TRADING POST: FOR SALE
- GARMIN 310XT
Garmin 310xt as new condition
- Zoot Z2 Sleeveless Wetsuit
Size small as new condition
No tears or marks
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org for either item.